The history of Bodegas Muga begins in 1932, when the estate was created by Isaac Muga Martínez and his wife, Auro Caño,
The history of Bodegas Muga begins in 1932, when the estate was created by Isaac Muga Martínez and his wife, Auro Caño, both descendants of local winemaking families. The pair established themselves in the centre of Haro, a town at the west end of the Rioja Alta region. Isaac always intended to move nearer the railway station, some considerable distance outside of the town, positioning himself alongside the many venerable bodegas that are located there, such as La Rioja Alta and the Compañía Vinícola del Norte de España, but he never survived to see the move completed. He died in 1969, leaving the estate to his three children who oversaw Isaac's envisaged relocation, which included the construction of a new bodegas topped off with a tower. The cellars include not only the usual fermentation and ageing rooms, but also a coopery, providing the family with a constant supply of oak barrels, which are central to the Muga style.