All Saints Estate is a family owned winery established in 1864 and located on the banks of the Murray River in Wahgunyah, Victoria.
Original owners George Sutherland Smith, born in 1830, and his friend John Banks, born in 1833, arrived from Cathiness, Scotland in 1852. They were 23 and 20 years of age, and settled in the Wahgunyah area in 1864. They had both trained as engineers at the Edinburgh Railway Institute. They built a bridge over the Edwards River at Deniliquin during their first years in Australia as well as buildings in Beechworth including the Presbyterian Church, part of the gaol and the original hospital of which the façade still remains.
The All Saints Estate castle was based on the design of ‘The Castle of Mey’, including turrets and a tower. The castle was constructed mainly of hand made bricks which were fired on the property.(See All Saints Estate Brick Kiln). The Castle of May, most recently owned by the late Queen Mother, was where the original George Sutherland-Smiths father was a carpenter and joiner. However, only the battement parapets of the lower wall and a turrets were copied, not the main castle style. The All Saints Estate castle was classified in 1965 by the ‘Historic Buildings Council’, along with two other buildings on the Estate: the (former) bottling hall and cellar which now houses the Indigo Cheese Co. (est. December 2005) and the Chinese Dormitory. The main wine storage area, The Great Hall, is lined with huge 100-year-old oak casks, filled with rare Tokays and Muscats. When originally built, this hall was considered to be the largest wine storage facility in the Southern Hemisphere. All Saints Estate won the first gold medal for Australian wine in 1873 at the London International Exhibition. George Sutherland Smith was the first Australian winemaker to win an award at an overseas wine show.